If this is the first time you have a pet, you may wonder… “Can dogs eat chocolate?”
As dog owners, we love giving our pets treats for being the best pets.
However, there are still treats or foods that you should not give your pup.
For starters, NO, dogs should not eat chocolate.
They should never eat chocolate, even as a treat or by poking around in the kitchen while you’re out.
This blog will discuss everything you need to learn about the toxicity of chocolate in dogs.
If you suspect your pup has ingested chocolates, contact your vet immediately or take him to the vet clinic.
Can dogs eat chocolate? Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs
We all love to treat ourselves to our favorite candy bar from time to time.
But even though chocolate is a very tasty treat for humans, that doesn’t mean we should feed it to our dogs.
There are many human foods that can be harmful to puppies.
All types of chocolate are toxic to dogs. Even in small amounts, chocolate can harm your dog’s health.
Chocolate contains two poisonous chemicals for dogs: caffeine and theobromine, that harm dogs.
“But what about dark chocolates? Is the same?”
The darker the chocolate, the higher the level of theobromine present, which means it is more toxic than regular chocolate.
How much chocolate is poisonous to a dog?
It all depends on the amount of toxic theobromine present in the type of chocolate.
Again, the darker and bitter the chocolate, the more dangerous it is for Fido.
Gourmet baking chocolate and dark chocolate contain around 130 to 450 mg of theobromine per ounce.
Milk chocolate typically has between 44 and 58 mg per ounce.
To put this in context, let’s say you have a medium-sized dog that weighs 50 pounds.
It would only take them to eat 1 ounce of bakery chocolate to show symptoms of possible chocolate poisoning.
Also, remember that even if the amount ingested is not enough for a toxicity issue, you may still experience negative side effects due to the fat and sugar in the chocolate.
For example, dogs that have sensitive stomachs can suffer from pancreatitis.
Signs of Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs
Keep an eye on your pup for the next 24 hours. This is when the signs will most likely appear. Some of the symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs that you can pay attention to are listed below:
- increased heart rate
- excessive urination
- muscle tremors
- abnormal heart rhythm
- Increased body temperature
- Heart failure
- Excessive thirst
Should I wait for symptoms to appear before calling the vet?
If you know that your dog has eaten chocolate, do not wait for any of the above signs to appear and consult your vet.
These symptoms take 6-12 hours to appear in your dog. Contact or take Fido to the vet as soon as possible.
Take notes on what chocolate they ate, how much they ate, and how much your dog weighs.
This data will be very useful for your vet to properly assess the situation.
Treatment for Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs
Treatment for chocolate poisoning will depend on the type and amount of chocolate consumed.
Chocolate poisoning should be treated by a vet as soon as possible.
Most vets will induce vomiting and administer activated charcoal to absorb undigested theobromine in the GI tract.
Vomiting must be induced within 2 hours of ingestion to be effective.
It is best to take your pup to the vet as soon as possible.
Following induction of vomiting or charcoal treatment, your dog will be monitored for signs of vomiting, diarrhea, panting, irregular heartbeat, and high blood pressure for 4 to 6 hours.
If symptoms occur, supportive therapy is required to keep them stable until the toxicity subsides.
What to do if your dog eats chocolate
No matter how small the amount, especially if you have a small dog, it is best to talk to your trusted vet.
If you don’t know what to do right now, here’s a quick step-by-step guide on what to do if your dog eats chocolate.
1. Eliminate access to chocolate and collect the facts
Making sure they don’t consume more chocolate is the first step.
Place them where your dog can’t reach or find them.
In addition, you must collect all the information.
Check if you can still see the packaging or the recipe for the chocolate.
Try to estimate how much chocolate your dog ate and when he ate it.
2. Contact a vet immediately
Once again, we can’t stretch this enough; is crucial Contact your vet immediately if your dog ate chocolate.
Once in dialogue with a vet, tell him all the facts.
Your vet will need to know how much your dog ate and the size and weight of your pup.
This way, your vet can easily assess the situation and develop the appropriate treatment.
3. Getting to the clinic
Let your vet know you are on the way and get to him as quickly as possible.
Remember that induction of vomiting must be done within 2 hours of ingestion to effectively flush the toxic ingredient out of your system.
Once at the clinic, the vet will assess your dog’s condition and carry out the necessary treatment.
Can dogs eat chocolate? Frequent questions
Can dogs eat chocolate cake?
No, the chocolate cake is full of ingredients that are bad or harmful to dogs.
For example, there is cocoa powder and sugar. Cocoa powder is also toxic to dogs as it contains high levels of theobromine.
Can dogs eat bananas?
Dogs can eat bananas but in moderation. Banana is a fantastic low calorie treat for dogs.
Contains potassium, vitamins, biotin, fiber and copper. Also, bananas are low in cholesterol and sodium.
However, the banana is high in sugar, so it is best given as a treat.
Can cats eat chocolate?
No, cats can’t eat chocolate. The reason why dogs can’t eat these delicious treats. Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine., Both harmful to cats and dogs.
Can dogs eat chocolate? Before going…
Chocolate is a very delicious treat for humans. However, can dogs eat chocolate?
Chocolate is a big No-No for dogs. It can cause serious risk or even death in severe cases.
If your dog has eaten chocolate or accidentally ate chocolate crumbs, see your vet right away so they can assess if your pup is at risk for chocolate poisoning.
Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, two chemicals that are harmful to dogs.
Chocolate poisoning is very serious. Large amounts of chocolate can cause severe symptoms and even death.
Some signs of chocolate poisoning are diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, panting, and increased heart rate.