Dogs love butter as much as we do, but butter is high in fat and not easily digested by dogs. Although butter is not toxic to dogs, it can make them sick if they ingest large amounts. Repeatedly offering your dog butter can lead to obesity, chronic pancreatitis, high cholesterol, and heart disease. Although we like to spoil our pups, take butter off the treats list, and there are far better ways to help him gain weight, if needed.
Symptoms in Dogs Who Ate Butter
Dogs who ate a small amount of butter may not have any symptoms. However, dogs who ingested larger amounts may experience vomiting and diarrhea. Your dog may have a decreased appetite, a painful belly, and a lethargic demeanor. If the butter was salted, many dogs will drink and urinate more often. Symptoms of pancreatitis include loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, and abdominal pain.
What Will a Veterinarian Do If My Dog Ate Butter?
Depending on the size of your dog and how much butter he ate, your veterinarian may advise you to bring your dog in immediately for treatment or may recommend you monitor him at home for signs of gastrointestinal upset.
If he has to go into the clinic, a physical exam and bloodwork will be performed first. Depending on how sick he is, he may receive intravenous fluids, pain relief, and antinausea medications while hospitalized. These treatments will be continued until he is feeling better.